1 shallot, finely chopped
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup grape seed oil
1/4 cup walnut oil
2 Tablespoons water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup or 55 grams shredded Parmesan cheese
14 oz arugula
7 ounces frisee lettuce
¼ bunch fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped (about ½ cup/ 15g)
4 Beurre Bosc pears, peeled with stems attached
750 mL/ 1 bottle Shiraz
375 mL / 13 ½ fluid oz Port
1 ½ cups / 150 g walnuts, toasted
To make poached pears:
• Remove the core from the base of each pear using a melon baller, keeping the pear intact.
• Place the Shiraz and Port in a large sauce pan
• Add the pears, bring to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes or until tender
• Remove the pears, reserving the liquid
• Place 250 mL / 9 fluid oz of the reserved liquid in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
• Reduce to a syrup.
To make roasted walnuts:
• Preheat the oven to 350° C
• Place nuts on oven tray and bake for 5-7 minutes, tossing occasionally, or until the nuts are golden brown.
• Remove tray from the oven and set the nuts aside to cool.
To make the parmesan wafers:
• Preheat the oven to 400° C
• Place a non-stick silicone mat on an oven tray
• Evenly sprinkle the shredded Parmesan cheese over the mat forming a thin 13x9 inch rectangle of cheese on the mat.
• Bake for about 7 minutes or until the cheese is lacy and golden.
• Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely
• Break the Parmesan wafer into large pieces.
To make the dressing:
• In a large bowl, combine the shallots and white wine vinegar and being to wisk.
• Slowly add both oils while constantly whisking to blend.
• Whisk in the water and season the vinaigrette with salt and freshly ground pepper.
To make the salad:
• Toss the leaves and pears in a bowl with just enough dressing to coat.
• Divide the salad between 4 serving plates.
• Place the Parmesan wafers over the salad and sprinkle with roasted walnuts.
• Drizzle a small amount of reduced red wine around each plate and serve.