Spinach Artichoke Dip-Cpk Recipe
This is from the California Pizza Kitchen cookbook. The photo is pre-baking. Everyone loves this dip! It's a bit time consuming, but worth it. Don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you!
30 min | 30 min prep
SERVES 8 -10
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup diced white onion or yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (vegetable works too!)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 crumbled bouillon cubes (optional if you want to make a vegetarian version)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted, drained, wrung out by hand and coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces artichoke bottoms, drained and cut into slices
- 1 cup finely shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil and butter over medium heat. When butter has melted, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring frequently and stopping before onion and garlic start to brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over and continue cooking, stirring continuously, until the mixture turns a golden-blond color, about 10-15 minutes. Slowly add the stock, whisking continuously until it is smoothly incorporated.
- When the mixture begins to simmer, stir in the cream. Return to simmer. Remove from heat and add the Parmesan, bouillon cubes, lemon juice and sugar and stir until thoroughly blended.
- Add the sour cream, spinach, artichoke bottoms, Monterey Jack and Tabasco sauce. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a warm serving bowl and serve immediately, accompanied by tortilla chips, pita chips or toasted baguette slices.
- I make mine the day before, refrigerate and then heat up in a 350°F oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through.